I got a phone call from one of my clients telling me how she almost lost her husband because of dehydration from a day spent working in the yard during a hot spring day.
We are all guilty of taking for granted the importance of proper hydration. It is something I preach over and over to my clients but often times it just does not seem to register just how important water intake truly is for the health of our bodies.
Our bodies are 70 % water (less for women), our blood is 83% water and 98% of the intestinal, gastric, and salivary and pancreatic juices are water. If we are not properly hydrated all body functions will work less than optimal and increase our rate of aging, while increasing the risk of disease.
Extreme dehydration will cause the critical body systems to shut down and cause death. This is what was happening to this individual. To complicate things this person has a history of cardiovascular disease.
The individual while working in the heat most of the day consumed at best about 40 to 50 ounces of water, well short of his minimum intake of 115 ounces (1/2 his body weight in ounces). Once dinner was over the man passed out with vital signs way off, to say the least, he was hospitalized while being hydrated and was able to go home the next day.
A close relative of mine was not as lucky. After becoming dehydrated after a weekend of working in the yard suffered a series of strokes. So, what is happening that makes dehydration so dangerous?
Have you ever thickened gravy? What must you do to thicken the gravy? That’s right you cook it down – cook off the water (Steam). The result is gravy that is thicker and if you cook it too much it becomes a paste.
The same thing is happening to your blood when you do not drink enough water, it becomes thick and body functions become compromised. My relative had blockages that when the blood became thicker led to a decreased blood flow to the brain thus resulting in the strokes.
- Next to oxygen, water is the most important factor to your survival. Man has survived up to 90 days without food but after about 72 hours without water will enter into a semi-comatose state before death
- Pure water is the best natural defense against all kinds of virus infections such as influenza and pneumonia
- Water is a vital component of all body fluids, tissues, cells, lymph, blood and glandular secretions
- It is the transportation system for the vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, phytochemicals, etc. that are significant for thriving health
- DETOX - Water flushes the toxins and salts from our body
- Your brain is 75% water – wonder why you have trouble concentrating
- Your lungs 80% water – wonder why exercise is so hard and energy so low
- Red blood corpuscles 69% water – key for oxygen transport to the tissues of the body
- Cartilage 55% water – ever wonder why you are so stiff, with achy joints
I hope you get the point of how important pure, clean water (steam distilled is my choice) is to your health. Do not take water intake for granted. It is vital to thriving not just surviving.